A License Pool is an organizationally-defined segmentation of data that is designed specifically to enable the fine-grained administration of an organization's Office 365 subscriptions and services. The ability to create and maintain License Pools is part of the following CoreView subscriptions. Subscriptions tagged as "Deprecated" are no longer being sold as of January 2019.
- Enterprise (Deprecated)
- Professional (Deprecated)
- Suite (Deprecated)
- Delegated Administration (Deprecated)
- License Management (Deprecated)
You can access the License Pool management feature by clicking on the Management Menu and then on Manage License Pools. When you first enter Manage License Pools, the page will be empty. To initialize your License Pools, you will need to click on the Manage dropdown menu on the right side of the Manage License Pools page and then select Configure.
The Configure License Pool User Interface
The Configure License Pool user interface is quite simple and consts of three key areas.
- The Configure License Pool web page. This represents the entirety of your working area when configuring License Pools.
- License Pool Discriminator configuration. This is where you select the discriminator you feel is best suited to define your License Pools. Please note that the set of available discriminators is fixed to a subset of account attributes and those most likely to be used to define a License Pools.
- Configuration Options tabs. You access these tabs to add the licenses you want to manage as well as where you can define any overhead costs for License Management, should this be needed for the purposes of chargeback.
III. Configuring License Pools
To configure a License Pool, you simply select the appropriate Discriminator, then click on the SKUs tab and add to the Pool collection all SKUs that you wish to manage. Please not that you need to select all SKUs that are relevant across all of the Pools. Once you do that , click on the blue check button and the Pool creation will begin. The time it takes to build the Pools depends on your user population.
III. More on Office 365 Licenses
For additional information on Microsoft Office 365 subscriptions and licensing, please click on the links below.